For casting the main trio in the story, I tried to cast fairly young actors for the main three, as they were high schoolers in the story and the best coming-of-age films take place in the midst of the teenage years. I also chose Asian-American actors, as their Korean identity is essential to the plot. I did attempt to find Korean-American actors, but after skimming cast lists of other films and shows featuring a Korean main character, I learned that Hollywood does not strictly specify ethnicity.
An example of this is Lana Condor, who will be portraying Ronnie in my adaptation. She was previously cast as Lara Jean in All The Boys I’ve Loved Before - Lara being half Korean and Lana being Vietnamese. Despite that, I found her character in the movie very stereotypical and not too striking to take away from the greater plot. I found this behavior very similar to Ronnie, who, for the most part of the story leading up to her climax, was not particularly drawing.
![]() |
| Lana Condor as Ronnie |
![]() |
| Stephanie Hsu as Mini |
![]() |
| Lola Tung as Caroline |
In the text, they don’t think they explicitly mentioned a physical setting and if they did, it was not impactful to the plot. I imagined it to take place in a suburban town in the Midwest. From what we know, there are enough Asians to successfully hold a Korean-adoptee meet-up, but not enough for the main three to feel “in place.” I also like the idea of (at least one of) them residing in a stereotypical suburban home - not overly large but large enough to host a few of your friends over without it being uncomfortable.
During the story, they mention the idea of school, such as when they talk about their social dynamics and how they wouldn’t be friends at school. However, I don’t think it was that relevant to the plot, and with everything else going on I think this story would be best set in the summer leading up to another school year, such as late July and early August.
On top of all of the Asian-American angst in this story, I think a great song that fits with many scenes is Drunk Walk Home by Mitski. I truly cannot describe this song and capture the emotion it portrays. While I would love to have this song for multiple scenes, I think it would best fit Ronnie's resolve, where she decides to ask Mom for her strength and decides to forge her own life, beginning with ending her relationship with Alex.



Very interesting. I like how you studied actors from other movies and used their personalities and features to fit into the personalities and features from the short story. Unsurprisingly, I did not know any of the actors you mentioned, nor am I familiar with the movies you found them from, so I really appreciated how you gave explanations of them to help me understand them more and understand why you chose them to be casted in "Mothers Lock up your daughters..." Overall very interesting idea.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you in your choice of actors. I've seen almost every movie that you talked about and I think the actresses were very well chosen. The picture of the actress you chose for Ronnie, Lana Condor, is very similar to what I imagined. It gives the idea of being a more closed and isolated person. On the other hand, the actresses Stephanie Hsu for Mini and Lola Tung for Caroline , give the impression of being much more friendly open people . Specially Lola Tung. I also found your choice of music very interesting. I didn't know the song so I listened to it and I understand what you're saying when you relate it to the story.
ReplyDeleteI love your choices for the actors! I think the fact that you drew from their previous projects was a great way to cast them. I've seen the movies and read the TATBILB books and Lana Condor did a wonderful job portraying the chracter of Lara Jean. I have no doubt she would do a fabulous in another written story to film adaptation. I'm also a big fan of Stephanie Hsu, I think she has such a great range that would be perfect for Mini. Finally, I think it would be super cool to see Lola Tung as Caroline - I totally agree that her softer features are perfect for her. She's also a fantastic actress!
ReplyDeleteI really love your choice of actors! I feel that the way you portrayed them based on their other acting roles is very descriptive, and I completely agree with your opinions and observations. Also, I really enjoyed the setting you have decided to place this story in. I feel like the suburban setting really fits the story and the characters especially their houses like you wrote. I had not listened to the song previously but it does really encapture this story.
ReplyDelete